Monday, April 11, 2011

Beginnings

I recently saw the movie Sucker Punch, and boy, was it a snore. While I enjoy the ubiquitous explosion and scantily clad teenage girl just as much as the next guy, it just wasn't enough to keep me perky for two hours. While it's no doubt the closest thing we'll get to a live anime film, I'm just not "15-years-old" enough to really find it that appealing. The soundtrack is well done (and must've been the inspiration for the entire project itself), so, uhh, check that out. I guess the best thing about the movie is Emily Browning's courageous attempt to branch out in her film career (because you can't get any less Lemony Snicket's than showing your midriff for two hours).

Wait a minute, isn't this blog about sandwiches? Why, yes. I had a great time with my girlfriend and our friends that night, but the movie certainly wasn't the best part--as you can probably guess, it was the dinner beforehand that really made the evening. I mean, it'd have to, I've started a blog. Yeah, I'm taking time out of my day to write about sandwiches. That means they'd have to be pretty damn good. How often does food make you want to write about it?

Enter Which Wich. As my girlfriend is wont to do, she left the decision on dinner to me. She had heard about Which Wich and we took the plunge.


To the common passerby, perhaps a hole in the wall, another of a dozen sandwich shops that litter our fair town. What makes these guys so special? I can grab a foot of sandwich a block away for a fiver. Oh, we're in the upper-middle class part of town, this is going to be hoity-toity. I bet their menu has words like "panini," "focaccia," and "piquant." No doubt its customers are drinking their Starbucks and chatting about whatever it is housewives chat about.

I couldn't have been more incorrect in those thoughts: the closest Which Wich is about two and a half hours from this one; you can get a whopping two-footer here; no leather chairs with magazine-laden coffee tables; ingredients and menu items that actual human beings eat; cubicle jockeys, tow-truck operators--you name it--are all welcome.


Perhaps the most intriguing part of the Which Wich experience is the menu and how you order, and subsequently the true origins of this blog's creation (more on that bit later). Select a specific type of sandwich--ham, turkey, seafood, etc.--then get even more specific. Yeah, you can have a turkey sandwich, but did you want stuffing and cranberry sauce, a la Thanksgiving, or sauerkraut and 1000 Island dressing? All said and done, there's fifty different sandwiches (as of this writing) to choose from. And that's not even counting the kids' sandwiches.


Load up on toppings (I'll take Cheez Whiz and pepperoncini, please), hand the clerk your paper, and moments later, you'll be treated to a delightful and tasty bit of handiwork that the fine sandwich artisans put together. Sure, it may sound like every other sandwich shop out there, but what truly makes Which Wich stand apart is the millions of possible sandwiches that can be created, all with your own personal taste.

That's a pretty simple explanation of due process for Which Wich, but I'd venture to guess you've already been there if you're reading this. The cause for my writing this blog is thus: I was entranced with the multitude of options to eat, and when I saw you have to 'fill in the circle' when you make your order, I saw a challenge. Fill in all the circles.

I came back the next day to recover from that stink of a film, ate another sandwich, and took a menu with me to keep as a personal log of all the sandwiches I eat. In addition, I've created this blog, not only to let the infinity of the internet know about my adventures in eating (I'm a regular Indiana Jones of taste!), but also put this Bachelor's in English to use. It made a nice paper airplane for a while, but you know how it goes.

So, tag along--I'm already a few bites deep with Which Which. I'll admit it's a silly goal, but how many people are you going to run into that've eaten all of the sandwiches at Which Wich? I believe I will be that person.

Oh, and did I mention their drink machine has the good** ice?!

**You know what I'm talking about.

No comments:

Post a Comment