Thursday, April 14, 2011

That's one more thing it's good on


My latest outing to Which Wich presented me with a little inspiration. I had a tough go about picking, as the story of my journey to my favorite sandwich shop that day proved heinous, to say the least.

My job takes me all over North Carolina, and that Monday was no different. Coming home from Winston Salem, I usually find the drive pleasant and nap-inducing. More often then not, my strict '65, no more, no less' rate of travel is a one way trip. Unfortunately, I quickly found myself practically parked on 85 South, punching the crap out of my steering wheel. Looks from my peers? Oh, I had them.

So what? Traffic. Big deal. Understand, however, that this is me we're talking about. My ETA at Which Wich was originally 12.30 or one, and that's pretty reasonable for lunch. Leave it to some dummy to cause a backup and make my time then 2.30! Oy, my stomach wanted to hold a mutiny.

I took my time (since I had sooo much) to ponder my eventual sandwich choice. This was to be my fourth sandwich, and I had previously taken in the buffalo shrimp, so seafood was out. While I can't wait to have the Montecristo (ham, turkey, grape jelly, and powdered sugar), I needed something that was a certainty; a standby; a good old fashioned sandwich. I suppose plain could be used here, but I wasn't about to drive two hours for something I may not fully appreciate.

Enter the Hula: ham and pineapple. Ask anyone about yours truly and they'll say, "Why, yes, John is the type of guy that makes pineapple his number one pizza topping choice, no doubt about that. And you're right, the first thing I think about when it comes to John is what he likes on his pizza." The ham was obvious, but the pineapple--oh, my, yes, please!

Needless to say, I scarfed it whole. The Which Wich in Charlotte could be considered located within the upper class part of town, and that day, according to its customers that day, could be seen as such. Did my stomach care about the joggers, the trophy-wives? The businessmen with pressed pants and cuff links?

Quite simply, NOPE.

No comments:

Post a Comment